« Home | Forthcoming Proposal » | Don't Like Change? Leave It Here! » | Double Trouble » | Changing of The Guard » | Cover Story...YTB's Lady Liberty » | YTB's Lady Liberty Story to Air Tonight » | Home Office of the 21st Century Family » | Your Independence Day » | A Business Owner's Perspective » | Agent Support Part Deux »

Some Light At The End Of This Tunnel...

I spent part of the last couple of nights reading some of the message boards and forums. I believe that reading some of the popular watering holes is a great way to get a pulse on what people are thinking and doing. Obviously the hot topic is this consideration of YTB expanding into franchising and additional markets.

It’s amazing how some of the conversations can be very civil, respectable, and interesting with very valid points on both sides. While other forums and blogs can be nothing more than this notion of doom and gloom with all kinds of questions that nobody can really answer at this point.

One of the things that’s become clear to me after reading comments from some of our RTA’s is how strong our Reps and RTA’s are. How much conviction they have in what we are doing and where YTB is heading. It’s no secret at this point that the slings and arrows that are typically associated with Network Marketing pails in comparison to the mortar fire we in YTB have been facing since last October. Network Marketing has been a very heated topic for years and with YTB’s success in our industry, it’s been escalating to a point that can be very uncomfortable.

If you’re wondering why all the fuss and attention…well, from the very beginning I heard that our management and founders have no experience, that no Travel MLM has ever made it, there’s no product, there’s no money, there’s no future, and our model is flawed…doomed to failure. Travel has to be sold a certain way and to think that YTB could come in and change things is just a pipe dream.

The small group of “critics” that are throwing all this mortar fire right now started to stock up just over a year ago when they got their first glimpse of our success in Travel Weekly’s annual Power List Ranking. The horns sounded, the critics rallied, and the mortars began to be loaded. How dare those little, itty bitty bunch of “recruiters” come in and change the face of an industry they have come to know, love, and respect. Didn’t we know how things are suppose to be? Are we blind, deaf, and dumb to not realize? Were we not listening?

Guess not.

Here we are a year after the first shot heard round the world and YTB just keeps plugging along, doing what we do, and the few that have been shooting at us now see that YTB just jumped from #35 to #26 with an 83% growth in a format and model they just know doesn’t work.

I mentioned at the beginning how much of the conversation I’ve seen has been very civil concerning YTB’s forthcoming proposal. I’ve actually enjoyed some of the dialog and it’s been refreshing to discuss this issue without the name calling and childish behavior I see in other places. I’ve been a member of some of these forums and boards for years. Part of this intelligent dialog is that other members actually know what MLM really is. They’ve heard all the myths and rumors from actually being in the industry themselves. One member, whom I believe to be very sincere, offered his “condolences” concerning this proposal of our new format. That got me thinking about how many times YTB has been offered condolences in my years of participation on these forums.

A list went rushing through my head of my last three years in YTB.


I’ve seen condolences when Coach was sued and there was fear the company would be shut down and Coach was heading to jail.

Outcome: Case Dismissed


I’ve seen condolences every time the FTC was going to shut us down.

Outcome: Actually, for as many times I’ve seen this mentioned on the internet, I’m SHOCKED this has never happened and not one suit or case has ever been filed.


I’ve seen condolences when Rick Ricketts was “under investigation” in Florida.

Outcome: Florida State Senator Burt L. Saunders now on our Board of Directors


I’ve seen condolences 9 straight quarters of losses from 2005 through Q1 2007.

Outcome: $3.2 Mil Profit for 2007 and YTB is now a “Travel Darling”.


I’ve seen condolences when YTB was delisted to the Pink Sheets.

Outcome: Back on the OTC, and stock did a 1:3 split late June 2007.


I’ve seen condolences when all the suppliers were going to follow Royal Caribbean’s lead and terminate their relationship with us.

Outcome: The VP of this decision is now the VP of making sure toilet paper is stocked and mints are on pillows. Meanwhile, Carnival Corporation obviously makes the right choice by implementing a very simple booking requirements policy. Trainings with other vendor and suppliers increased dramatically to capture the market share Royal Caribbean tossed overboard.


I’ve seen condolences when IATA sealed our fate and we couldn’t book any more travel.


Outcome: YTB jumps 9 spots in Travel Weekly’s Power List from #35 to #26 with 83% growth and $414.5 Million in Travel Sales.


To see condolences from anyone these days just seems a bit melodramatic to me. I can appreciate what the unknown can create in the minds of others. Experience however, can change one’s perspective when you’ve seen what this company has endured and overcome.

With every adversity and all the doom and gloom that I’ve seen projected from both good natured and the cold hearted concerning our Founders, our Company, our model, and our people; to have YTB still standing strong and proud is so incredibly refreshing and powerful.

You know what I see? I see character. I see conviction. I see trust. I see belief. I see a change of people being a part of YTB, to YTB being a part of the people.

I get e-mails, phone calls and have been involved in many personal conversations from fellow Team Members in YTB. People constantly thank me for the work I do on this blog, and our Weekly Newsletters I’ve shared with the entire company. I’ve heard many times how grateful people are for sharing my experience and what I know.

What goes around comes around, and it’s my turn to thank all of you for standing strong in your convictions, and being such a valuable part of this great company we know as YTB. I can’t tell you how proud I am to see what I see out there in these forums and boards right now. How solid and true you are.

One of the best comments was a post created by a woman I don’t even know, but I think it speaks volumes when it comes to what we have to look forward to. While I don’t have her permission to copy and paste this, I’m quite confident she won’t mind.

“YTB, a leader in the travel industry, is going down!!!


YTB has gone through so many storms just within the past year. Unfortunately, whenever a company continually goes through problems, issues, storms, loses customers (REPs/RTAs), bad press, losing memberships, being ousted from suppliers' support, being taken to court, staff issues, etc etc etc. it weakens the base and foundation of the company. That's so sad!! And what about the poor RTAs who paid $500 just to chase a dream!!RTAs should have listened to the many heeds to get out, stay away, find something else and get on with life. They really should have.Well, what's next for us?? Well - ALL IS NOT LOST! Here's the good news:

YTB IS GOING DOWN!


They are going down in history as trailblazers in the travel industry!!!”

LOL! I couldn’t agree more Denyse!

You go Girl!

PS – If you’d like to read her entire post, you are free to visit it here.


PPS - If you’d like to keep up to date with all the latest news, acquisitions, and developments with YTB feel free to sign up for my FREE Newsletter. Just like here, it’s loaded with food, water and sunshine to grow your YTB business.

Doug & Ronda Bauknight
AKA: TravelPro
Travel Agent / Networker

Phone: 678.458.5812


Learn How To Become A Travel Agent
Image

Book Your Travel & Vacations With


Travel Reservations: 1.800.243.4450

RTA #24635

Labels: , , ,

About Us

  • We're TravelPro
  • AKA: TravelPro
  • From Hot-Lanta!, Georgia, United States
  • YTB Travel Network is 130,000 Agents strong. Join a winning group of Travel and Networking Professionals who share effective ways to sell more travel, market effectively, attract quality people, and how to train those people to capture a bigger piece of our $7 Trillion Dollar Industry. Just Picture It Now!
Our profile

View my page on The YTB Travel Family

Top Travel Blogs 

  Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free! Add to Technorati Favorites

Who links to me?