« Home | The Cookie Jar... » | Fun To Watch... » | This Guy ROCKS! » | Meet The Press » | Virtually Cool... » | First Class » | "Write" on Course... » | Hitting The Political Landscape... » | Behind Closed Doors... » | The "Happy File"... »

Lucky 7...

7 years ago today, I was hired for one of the most important, most rewarding, and most demanding jobs I’ve ever had.

I became a father.

I’ve written about my little girl, AKA: Schmoopsie Pooh, along with her younger brother of 20 months AKA: Googley Bear here before. I don’t know how in the world I did it, but I happened to produce two of the most beautiful children on the fact of this earth. Being a father of these two souls, and watching them grow and learn has got to be the absolutely best experience I’ve ever had.

While Brittany turns 7, and acts like she’s 17 at times, there is such a beautiful innocents and wonder about this age and stage in her life. Over the last year I’ve begun to see “my little girl” grow up and mature right before my eyes. Gone are the kids shows that her brother still enjoys. Gone are the little toys that are replaced with things like books and writing tablet. Gone is the dependence on either myself or my wife to do things for her. And she now shares in some form of responsibility in maintaining a couple of chores around the house.

I always knew I wanted to be a father and I’ve always had a very special bond with children my entire life. I get a lot of this from my mother as she has a very special touch that I don’t hold a candle too. I worked my way through high school and college working in day care centers, and also acting in children’s theatres in the Northeast. I have the distinct honor of being an original cast member in a not so wildly successful play called “Patchwork”. Though it was never ready for any prime time players, my name is in the book as being the first cast member of this children’s play.

I remember people, more specifically other “parents” telling me how being a father would “change my life”. While I thought I had some concept of what they were talking about, I’ve come to find out that honestly, I didn’t have a clue. To this day I remember the very first time I set eyes on her in the hospital just seconds after she came into this world. The second thing I remember thinking, (right after “my God, she looks just like me”.) was “Oh, this is what they were talking about.”

Being a parent isn’t something you can explain, it’s something you have to experience in order to get the full meaning of. Even for someone like myself who is well versed in putting things down on paper, or in my case this blog. The “Parent” experience just can’t be put into words to help those who haven’t or are about to experience what it’s like. Sure we can give you story after story, lesson after lesson, but until you actually do it yourself, it just doesn’t have the same effect.
It’s that special. It’s that meaningful.

I’ll be heading to school at lunch today to deliver a special “birthday cookie” for her and her friends and probably embarrass the hell out her as I’ll be singing “Happy Birthday” the loudest of the entire bunch. (Remember, I have “theatre” experience.) We’ll sit and enjoy some time together mid day with her class mates some of whom spent their first sleep over at our house this weekend. (Another long post in itself, trust me!) I’m just thankful I missed the high pitched screams of all the girls as they wooed all over Zac Efron in High School Musical 3 in theatres all across the country.

I remember being in the hospital with her just days after she was born. Pittsburgh was playing Tennessee on Monday Night Football. I of course had gotten a very cute sleeper with Steelers logo’s as I wore my Kordell Stewart jersey to watch the game together in the hospital room. She was an angel right from the start, and didn’t say a word. (The staff on the floor however, did have a few choice words over the noise I was making.)

We brought her home just a few days later on Halloween. While I was ready and willing to start my fatherly duties that night and take her trick or treating, Ronda had other ideas. Fortunately being only a few days old, I don’t think Brittany has any memories of missing her first Halloween and I can assure you that missing the experience did not scar her for life.

Another year has passed, and she’s another year older. Hard to believe and yes it’s blown by in the blink of an eye. Next thing you know I’m going to writing about walking her down the isle. I realize that’s another 30 years away, but if the last 7 have gone by this fast, she’ll be dating in just 29 years.
There is something she’ll never outgrow with me. When she does turn 36 and I let her start dating, I’ll still be saying “Happy Birthday little girl”.


PS - If you’d like to keep up to date with all the latest news, acquisitions, and developments with YTB feel free to sign up for my FREE Newsletter. Just like here, it’s loaded with food, water and sunshine to grow your YTB business.

Doug & Ronda Bauknight
AKA: TravelPro
Travel Agent / Networker

Phone: 678.458.5812


Learn How To Become A Travel Agent
Image

Book Your Travel & Vacations With


Travel Reservations: 1.800.243.4450

RTA #24635

Labels: ,

Top Travel Blogs 

  Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free! Add to Technorati Favorites

Who links to me?