« Home | They Once Were Lost...But Now Are Found... » | I've Been Duped! » | Seriously… » | A Special Tax Return? » | 6 Month Checkup » | What can you do? YTB is a "Darling" » | What Do Critics REALLY Know? » | Another Resounding Thud? Not Quite... » | So Much Better On-Line » | The Hokey Pokey... »

A New Perspective...

It never ceases to amaze me how certain things just show up in life. Late last week I came down with the flu and was laid out for days sick in bed. My wife almost dragged me to the Doctor, but you know us guys, we don’t need no stinkin’ Doctor. So I’ve been out of touch with the outside world and while my weekends are usually spent planning, which includes ideas and drafts on posts for the week I never got that done.

The combination of being out of touch with what’s going on, and not having anything planned for today’s post left me stumped for something to write about. I finally came up with one of these “We interrupt your regularly scheduled Blog to bring you the Pittsburgh Steelers 2008 NFL Football Schedule” since the schedules were in fact released yesterday.

While the post I had ready last night was fine, I went to bed last night uncertain because I really didn’t have anything topical to post about. I just let it go, and told myself that something would come to me in the morning. (Which often happens.)

When I got up this morning and finished up my morning routine of reading over goals, to-do’s, and morning gratitude, it was time to check e-mail before I posted my Steelers Schedule post, and low and behold, my story for today appeared.

Some time ago, you may recall that John Frenaye and I had fallen out of favor with each other, while we don’t communicate any longer, we do “check in” on each other from time to time via our blogs. As our paths have changed course, I find myself reading less and less of his negativity, and more and more productive positive material.

Even though we may have opposing views and strong beliefs about which direction YTB is going, I have to give credit were credit is due. John will at times, set the record straight and I’m pleased to see that is still owning up to some misinformation when the opportunity arises.

John found an article in Travel Trade which “assumed” Carnival was making a move towards Direct Bookings, which in turn, would eventually eliminate Travel Agent commissions much like what happened in the Airline Industry back in the late 1990’s. There are many in the Travel Agent Community who fear the worst with this, and are just looking for signs that’s going to happen.

You’ll see further examples of this paranoid mentality in the comment sections below the post. (More on the comments in a bit.)

As it turns out, Carnival caught the error in Travel Trade and forwarded this statement for them to post.

“In the Travel Trade email blast on Monday, April 14, the news item under the headline "Carnival Increases Direct Communications" was wrong because of an editing error that resulted in incomplete information. Carnival Cruise Lines is not moving to more direct marketing as the item wrongly implied. Rather, its contract with SAS technology, which the news item reported, aims to analyze the effectiveness of its existing marketing programs. Based on an editing error, a section of the Carnival quote within the SAS release, which discussed driving business to travel agents, was deleted. The full quote from Shannon Balliet-Antorcha, director of database marketing and customer data integration at Carnival, stated, "We increased berths and we want more cruisers to ask travel agents to book their cruise on Carnival. Customers appreciate Carnival's wide range of vacation choices. More effective marketing campaigns will build brand preference and contribute to filling this new capacity. Using SAS Marketing Automation, we expect a better return on marketing investment."

And John, like he has done in a few cases before, made the correction on his Blog. I’m not surprised that John stayed true to form with his “spin” of all this, that it’s Carnival who is back peddling, not himself. He and others in his community are still extremely paranoid that just like YTB, suppliers are also out to get them, and they aren’t buying the fact that the Cruise industry will eventually go NET just like the Airlines have done to them.

Why someone chooses to live in that kind of fear and negativity in their profession is beyond me, but it’s not my place to tell them how they should live or what they should do about it.

While I was there, I decided to catch up on what was going on and I pointed to the comments section before. It appears this community believes I’m posting “Anonymously” just to irritate them. I have seen a certain poster, Olescorekeeper, there for some time, but two of the Anti-YTB members there seem to be convinced that I’m hiding and posting under his name just to have my voice heard. He’s told them it’s him, but they are certain that I’m trying to trick them.

I wondered if posting under my “Travel-Pro” Blogger account informing them that I had been out of pocket for a number of days wouldn’t help the situation, even just a little, but who am I kidding. I’m just another one those lying, stealing, detestable YTB’ers who’s only trying to bring attention to myself.

I just find it ironic that I was ridiculed for working on letting this community go and allowing them to exist without any emotional attachment, and even though there hasn’t been a single post from me on that Blog for over a month, I’m still being talked to like I’m actually participating and playing with the rest of the kids on the playground.

Looking at this in the new perspective I have, I have to wonder why I ever entertained trying to help any of them in the first place, but we all make stupid moves, even me, from time to time. It’s just good to see what a little time has been able to do in obtaining some real growth and healing. I’m willing to bet that much like those who post daily on Scam.com, that same old same old will still being talked about, while the rest of us who want some true change in our lives, just let them wallow in their own brand of PMS. (Poor Me Stuff)

Thanks for the e-mail this morning! It was sent with a gift you didn’t even know anything about.

Sign up for our FREE Newsletter for news and updates concerning YTB!

Doug & Ronda Bauknight
AKA: TravelPro
Travel Agent / Networker

Phone: 678.458.5812


Learn How To Become A Travel Agent
Image

Book Your Travel & Vacations With


Travel Reservations: 1.800.243.4450

RTA #24635

Labels: , , ,

Doug,

Re: cruise lines going to net rates.

The telltale signs have been there for years, many years. I won't bore you with the details.

TTA's will be prepared when the cruise lines go net - will you?

Will YTB?

Doug said, "I have seen a certain poster, Olescorekeeper, there for some time, but two of the Anti-YTB members there seem to be convinced that I’m hiding and posting under his name just to have my voice heard. He’s told them it’s him, but they are certain that I’m trying to trick them."

For any who have been led astray by their own minds, Doug is NOT the OleScorekeeper. I ought to know as I am he. It's odd to note that I have not only been accused of being Doug, who I truly respect, but also Alan and Babs. I have no clue who these two folks are.

And so for clarification purposes, the OleScorekeeper is NOT comprised of a trinity of individuals..but instead, just one humble little RTA. I have no use for those who wish to continue to dispute this any further. ;>)

OleScorekeeper

Oh no..he's back! Not really, but just wanted to comment on this paragraph in your post:
I’m not surprised that John stayed true to form with his “spin” of all this, that it’s Carnival who is back peddling, not himself. He and others in his community are still extremely paranoid that just like YTB, suppliers are also out to get them, and they aren’t buying the fact that the Cruise industry will eventually go NET just like the Airlines have done to them.


I am not sure where people are finding "spin" on the two posts. Travel Trade put it out and I posted it. I did not spin it. I also said that I think (based on the initial report) that this was a move by CCL to shift to a B2C model. It is a reasonable assumption since that is the assumption TT took as well.

When they corrected it, I also corrected my blog. Again, basing this on the info from TT. So where is the spin? Because I said that I felt it may have been more backpedaling than correction? Guys, that is not "spin" that is opinion.

In the quoted paragraph you state that we (TTAs) "aren’t buying the fact that the Cruise industry will eventually go NET just like the Airlines have done to them." Uhm, Doug, that was the the point of my opinion in the post.

Of course the cruise lines (and other suppliers) will go to net rates. One of my points against YTB is that YTB is not prepared for any net rates or zero commission environments.

I sense a little spin on your part.

OK--now I am heading back to my own sandbox!

So you deny that you’re posting anonymously on John’s blog?

Why don’t you just admit it or move on? You YTB’ers are such fakes!

Anon;

I don’t have to deny anything, Ole, has taken credit for the posts both there and here, so it’s a mute point.

Ole;

You should change your name to “Mini Me”.
;-P

Carnac the Magnificent & First Anon;

I remember some 6 months ago when everyone said YTB wasn’t prepared to have the onslaught of suppliers pull the plug.

Shortly thereafter, IATA was going to be our downfall.

Just last month, our stock was going to leave everyone penniless and broke without a shell of a company left to salvage.

If you want to believe YTB won’t adapt, I’m okay with that. Make no mistake however, I’m quite done playing “doom and gloom” with the paranoid bunch. It’s pointless, unproductive, and really not much fun.

The only things any of us can control and react to is what is here and now. Can’t change the past, and can’t sit around worried about what the future will bring. “If” what you say becomes true concerning NET rates, I have a few ideas on what directions the company could take, and based on past performance the last 6 months, YTB will barely skip a beat in making the changes necessary to adapt.

Appreciate the concern, but none of these issues are really within either of your control, and since neither of you are involved with the company, I find it odd that you have such strong views and opinions concerning a company and situation you claim doesn’t effect either of you.

Post a Comment

About Us

  • We're TravelPro
  • AKA: TravelPro
  • From Hot-Lanta!, Georgia, United States
  • YTB Travel Network is 130,000 Agents strong. Join a winning group of Travel and Networking Professionals who share effective ways to sell more travel, market effectively, attract quality people, and how to train those people to capture a bigger piece of our $7 Trillion Dollar Industry. Just Picture It Now!
Our profile

View my page on The YTB Travel Family

Top Travel Blogs 

  Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free! Add to Technorati Favorites

Who links to me?