« Home | In Remembrance of Those Who Serve » | Where's The Beef? » | Know Your Market... » | Chiefs, YTB International, Inc. Launch Innovative ... » | Blow Me Down » | No "Real" Travel Agents?? » | After Further Review... » | It Just Keeps Getting Better... » | Comic Relief » | Dear John »

Some "Light" Reading...

After a busy week last week, I was doing some reading in some of the Trade Journals. I came across several articles in Travel Weekly concerning Agent Issues that I found interesting.

The first that caught my eye was an article about the ARC Accreditation Mark and the VTC (Verified Travel Consultant) Mark, which accredited travel agents, can use to promote their ARC credentials to consumers and suppliers.

I found the Accreditation interesting several fronts. First, you may recall, that IATA terminated YTB’s Accreditation back in November of 2007 for violating its standards. Why YTB was singled out for doing exactly what any other Host Agency has done, is yet to be answered by IATA's U.S. agency commissioner, James Johnstone. Any Outside Agent dealing with a Host Agency has the IATA’s numeric code either on file or on their ID Cards.

After reading this article I wondered if YTB’s ARC number was back up after winning its bid to keep the number that ARC assigned. (Not assigned by IATA) I checked to see if YTB’s numeric could be accessed from the Check Code page. (If you know the number, you can input it here. I’m not at liberty to post it for you.)

Second, it’s been said that IATA is the “be all and end all” when it comes to verifying and accrediting Agencies, however, I have to question why IATA’s new policy of eliminating paper tickets, which goes into effect in just a few days, (June 1st) doesn’t effect US Agencies? Could it be that U.S. Agents settle through ARC, which continues to process paper?

While ARC continues to thrive and grow, IATA continues to make waves in what has been deemed as “unfair competitive advantage” of agents by refusing to deal with them when e-tickets are not an option in for Canadian Agencies. (Sound familiar?)

On another front, I know many of you have enjoyed the Training Seminars and Webinars available by our vendors and suppliers that I post in my free Weekly Newsletter. Many of you have gained valuable information from CCRATravel in recent months, and I’m sure you will be pleased to see that Net, Preferred, GDS, and Promotional Rates will be increasing to include not only more than 70,0000 Hotels, but Car Rentals with Avis and Budget.

I’m sure an overview should be available soon on how to capitalize on this expanded service available in your Travel Portal.

One last note before I head out today. June is Carnival Month for YTB and next Thurday’s training call will feature both President and Co-Founder of YTB Travel Network J. Kim Sorensen and Mike Julius, Regional Vice President of Carnival Cruise Line on Thursday June 5, 2008.


With the Directors meeting today in Dallas set to release all kinds of new announcements, the stock on the rise again, and less than a month away from finding out just were YTB places in the new Travel Weekly Power List, (June 23rd.) it looks as if it’s going to be a HOT Summer for YTB!

If you’d like to keep up to date with all the latest news, acquisitions, and developments with YTB feel free to sign up for my FREE Newsletter. Just like here, it’s loaded with links and documentation for you to share with clients and prospects alike.

Doug & Ronda Bauknight
AKA: TravelPro
Travel Agent / Networker

Phone: 678.458.5812


Learn How To Become A Travel Agent
Image

Book Your Travel & Vacations With


Travel Reservations: 1.800.243.4450

RTA #24635

Labels: , , ,

The IATA numeric code for an agent/agency may not be used on any company ID card. The individual(earned) IATAN agent ID may only be used on the agents personal IATAN ID.
Only IATAN approved agents (earned $$ verified by a w-2 or other federal form) may apply for and have an IATAN card.

It's IATA's members, not IATA itself that are pushing for universal e-tickets. ARC has nothing to do with it as they are owned by air carriers who do buisness with US Agencys. ARC will take directions from IATA as IATA controls the numbers given to any particular agency.

Why does YTB need ARC? You ticket thru someone else who holds accreditation and uses their ticket stock on your behalf. I see ARC as an unnessary expense for YTB

Doug,

Thank you for finally cutting “Martha” off. I did however enjoy the links you provide in defense of the claims of not having any proof that Candi wasn’t who she says she is. I’m looking forward to the information you will post about Candi in the future. I think it’s important that we promote former TTA’s who are now with us.

I do have one question for you. Why didn’t you get into some of her other lies? For example, she claims that 80% of us loose money, when you know as well as I do that the Rep Earnings Report doesn’t require a single dime of investment from anyone on that list? (Makes it really hard to “loose money” wouldn’t you agree?) I also wonder why you didn’t mention all the Training offered to us from the vendors? They think we don’t want to get trained, and wouldn’t you agree that’s wrong as well?

David;

I’m not saying your wrong, but I don’t remember that exact “wording” and it was my belief that it was the word IATA and a Logo we had on our RTA Credentials some years ago. I don’t doubt however that IATA does have things worded such as you have quoted currently.

Do you have any idea when IATA will be cracking down on all the other Agencies who currently have the IATA number on their ID cards?

Anon;

Not all members are pushing for e-tickets. I provided documentation in this post which quotes:

The Canadian Standard Travel Agent Registry (CSTAR) petitioned Canada's Competition Tribunal on Tuesday for emergency injunctive relief from IATA's planned conversion to all e-tickets in Canada as of June 1.

The bureau focuses on competitive injury, whereas the tribunal focuses on behavior that shuts out competitors by refusing to deal with them.

I don’t believe you are correct about ARC taking direction from IATA, as the numeric code was originally issued to YTB by ARC.

YTB attorney Al Anolik contends that since ARC issued IATA's numeric code, IATA does not have the right to force the network to stop using it.

US Agencies also don’t have the problem our Canadian counterparts have because of ARC here in the US.

And finally, YTB did book $52.1 Million with ARC in 2006, so I wouldn’t consider it a complete waste of time or money. I’m sure that’s one figure that can be verified by the rest of the Anti-YTB TTA’s without question.

Dale;

Thank you for the kind comments and I’m glad to see someone was intelligent enough to actually click the links to verify and form their own opinion based on actual documentation, not a bunch of hype and rhetoric. I knew she didn’t have a thing to begin with, so accepting her challenge was not a problem. You’re dead on about Candi, and there were others I hoped to bring to light, however, based on the mud thrown at Candi, I need to be a little more prepared next time with documentation of my own. (I’m still learning too. ;-P)

I didn’t get into all the other comments because I didn’t want to get distracted and needed to stay on topic for my own sanity and time issues. Part of what these people like to do is throw up so much mud in hopes that we will spend all our time defending what they say. Based on you already knowing about our Rep Agreement and real Retention rates, did I really need to get into that?

I’ve learned to pick battles, and holding her to the fire about “proof” was far more important. I’m sure you would agree that we (YTB’ers or Prospects) need to seriously question anything posted by the likes of Martha’s, John’s, Eddie’s and the other Anti-Anon’s on the internet.

ARC does not reconcile with paper. It is all IAR and most tickets are forced e-tickets except for certain foreign carriers.

I really don’t know of anyone who does reconcile with paper any more. I also agree that “most” tickets are now e-tickets.

This issue about IATA and the foreign carriers who are still using “paper tickets” needs to be addressed, don’t you think?

Is it up to IATA or the carrier to make that change?

Doug, if agents/agencies are using the IATA logo and number on their company business cards then you MUST report it to IATA. IATA will audit agencies from time to time...I've been audited 3 times...but if you want faster action report the violater to IATA.
YTB obviously got reported or audited, as did Inteletravel.

Good Morning,

You may have gotten your ARC number from ARC but they got it from IATA. IATA controls the numbers.

I did not realize that YTB issued tickets under it's own ARC code. So YTB must reconcile the weekly report and handle all chargebacks and exchanges. Do you know which department at YTB handles those transactions? I know Expedia gets debits daily so YTB (as their competitor) must as well. How does YTB handle these?

David;

I sincerely appreciate the advice. I know that I have made several, and know of others who have done the same concerning one of our Counterparts in the MLM industry. (TraVerus) The claims are all over the internet that when you join, you’ll get your IATAN card. It’s been going on since before this mess hit YTB and still nothing.

Of course in their defense, it’s my understanding that once you join, it’s like pulling teeth to get any type of Agent ID card, so it may be a case of not having any in existence to prove that they are violating anything. (Ironic huh?)

Anon;

I have two ways of getting a change order processed for my clients. Most of the time I can simply submit a support ticket in my back office, or if timing is an issue, I have an 800 number that either I or my client can call. I don’t have access to the paper tickets as they are only available at the Home Office and under very tight lock and key when not in use. YTB can’t even change closets without ARC approval.

In the three years I’ve been with the company, I’ve personally had to handle a handful of these issues through YTB. But most of the airline booking I get are from people I don’t even know. The people I do know book more cruises and tours with me.

Art & Dale (AKA: Martha)

I have told you that I’m not willing to post your comments here any longer. While I can’t prove it’s you, I have a very strong suspicion that it is. I’m not going to tell you how I know, but I do. Just like I know that John has extended his “long weekend” to the entire week on Deal Island in Maryland. (He reads, just doesn't post very often.)

If I wanted to continue to play games with the Anti-YTB’ers you’d see me over on John’s Blog, the Travel Weekly MLM forum, and Scam.com. Frankly, I’m bored with all the regurgitation (pun intended) of the same old same old and negativity.

It just doesn't matter much any more, and since you were unable to prove a thing, why should it?

I’ve found more productive and meaningful things to do with my time and energy. (Like spending this afternoon with my kids at the pool.)

If Traverus has IATAN than any member who earns 5000.00 in commission payments - a total of 5000.00 to the agent, not the agency, then they are eligible for an IATAN card. An IATAN card is not an agency ID with the IATA number on it. IATAN cards are issued only by IATA.

I doubt TRaverus has more than a handful who would be qualified. I also doubt the YTB would have very many out of 130,000 who would be eligible. You are MLM's so your focus is on recruiting not product.

If you have a Traverus card with the IATA logo and number on it, turn them in.

Post a Comment

About Us

  • We're TravelPro
  • AKA: TravelPro
  • From Hot-Lanta!, Georgia, United States
  • YTB Travel Network is 130,000 Agents strong. Join a winning group of Travel and Networking Professionals who share effective ways to sell more travel, market effectively, attract quality people, and how to train those people to capture a bigger piece of our $7 Trillion Dollar Industry. Just Picture It Now!
Our profile

View my page on The YTB Travel Family

Top Travel Blogs 

  Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free! Add to Technorati Favorites

Who links to me?